One of the most deplorable forms of violence that continues to be perpetrated against Palestinian women and girls is violence within the family, which is not effectively punished by Palestinian societal or judicial bodies.
Al-Haq, a legal organization based in Ramallah, calls for
- The international community to compel Israel to cease all acts that violate the fundamental protections guaranteed to women and girls under international human rights and humanitarian law.
- The international community to shoulder its legal responsibilities and prosecute those who have committed grave breaches of international humanitarian law, such as the willful killing of Palestinian women or girls.
- The PNA to ensure that all legislation contains provisions for the protection and promotion of the fundamental human rights of women and girls.
- The PNA to effectively investigate and, where necessary, prosecute and implement appropriate penalties for individuals found to have committed acts of harassment, violence and/or femicide against women or girls.
- The PNA to adopt a formal declaration stating that it will adhere to all provisions of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women, and be held accountable for breaches thereof.
(published in 2007, would compare and contrast whether these recommendations for the PNA were adopted).